Race Track Pretend Play
Turn your kiddie pool into an awesome, messy speedway!
- Racecar drivers:Your kids
- Pit crew chief:You
- A hard plastic kiddy pool
- Snow:Two cans of shaving cream. Save your mango-lime scented shaving gel for the shower...this activity needs the plain ole' white stuff.
- Several toy cars
- Small pieces of 2x44, rocks and other "obstacles" (optional)
- A carwash:Your hose
- Have the racecar drivers collect all of their toy cars in a box or bag. Whoa! Did you just walk from your kitchen to your living room without tripping on a miniature semi? Maybe you should play this game more often.
- Flip your kiddie pool over and set it on a flat surface.
- Let your track engineers design the perfect track. A rock can become a "mountain" and a 2x44 sitting on a rock can be a ramp. The more obstacles, the better.
- Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! Give your kid (and his friend or sibling) a can of shaving cream and let them cover the track with "snow".
- Let the races begin! Pull up their sleeves (or if you're not feeling like doing laundry, have them put on their swim suits) and lower the checkered flag. Pit a Porsche against a VW Bug. Let your tractor trailer slide down a snowy hill. Driving in snow can be a bit tricky at first, but they'll get the hang of it.
- When the races are over and the winners have been declared, pull out the hose and turn your yard into a carwash. Hose down the cars, the track and most importantly, the drivers. Hose them down well and they won't even need a bath tonight! Shaving cream counts as soap, right?
- Your kids clamoring for more speed? Search out a local go-kart track on GoCityKids and give them a feel for the NASCAR life.