Preschool Learning: Lily Pads Math Activity
What you need:
- Green construction paper
- Cut out lily pad shapes using the construction paper.
- Write a number on each lily pad.
- For little learners: Stick with the numbers 1-9.
- For older children: Practice double digit numbers.
- Place the lily pads on a rug or sidewalk (Yes! Another game to take outside!) with the number facing up.
- Your child will be the leaping frog, and has to find and hop to the correct number pad that you call out. Examples include:
Jump to number 5.
Reach and stretch to touch number 7.
Count my claps to figure out which number to jump to next.
Touch your toe on number 12.
- Increase the challenge level for older children by making it simple addition and subtraction problems (e.g., Land on the number that equals 7 + 3.)
How this builds brains: This game gets your child leaping directly into number recognition by getting your kid to concentrate on the shapes of numbers, identifying numbers, and even finding one number among a group of numbers.
Let's learn! Let's have fun!
Get more brain-building activities for your kid! Check out our Brain Building Boot Camp with Dr. Christine Ricci.