Acrobat Alphabet Reading Activity
What you need:
- Masking tape or sidewalk chalk (outside) or a jumprope (for inside)
- Write or form some giant letters on the floor, sidewalk or pavement.
- Encourage your child to inspect the letters by touching and walking on the letters.
- Have your kid say the letter as she's tracing over the letter with her feet. (Example: "A-A-A").
- Get moving! (Yes, you, too!) Skip, hop, tiptoe or even do jumping jacks on top of the letter! (Older kids might be daring enough for the real acrobatics: somersaults, cartwheels, etc.)
- Then, assign a word and an action to the letter. "A is for Astronaut! 3,2,1, blast off!"
How this builds brains: This game gives your child an up-close look at the unique shapes of letters paired with physical activity. The more you allow your kid to explore these distinct forms (with his whole body, no less!), the more ingrained the letter becomes in his brain.
Get more brain-building activities for your kid! Check out our Brain Building Boot Camp with Dr. Christine Ricci.