Alphabet Flash Cards Reading Activity
What you need:
- 26 index cards with each letter of the alphabet
- Magnetic letters or Scrabble tiles
1. LETTER MATCHING: (This game can have multiple players!)
- Shuffle the index cards and then spread out a set of magnetic letters on a table.
- Each child picks up a card and tries to match the letter on the card to one of the magnetic letters.
- If you find the match, you win that letter.
- Older children can be encouraged to make words out of the letters that they win.
- Hide a handful of magnetic letters around the room. (Or better yet: take it outside!)
- Flip over an index card and call out the sound of that letter.
- Send your child off to find the letter that corresponds to that particular sound. For example, if you told her to find the letter that makes the /R/ sound, your kid has to bring back the letter R.
- Continue until all the letters have been found!
- Have your child pick an index card and name a person or thing that starts with that letter.
- If she gets it right, she gets to keep the card. If she gets it wrong, the card goes back in the pile.
- Continue until all the cards have been won.
Get more brain-building activities for your kid! Check out our Brain Building Boot Camp with Dr. Christine Ricci.