Green Chile Posole Soup
You can thank the Native Americans for this delicious hominy-laden, tortilla-topped soup. You can thank your can opener for the fact that it's ready in 25 minutes.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14½-oz each) no-salt added, diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (4-oz each) diced, peeled green chilies, drained
- 2 cans (15-oz each) posole (whole-white hominy), drained
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cans (10¾-oz each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 24 unsalted, yellow corn tortilla chips, finely crushed
- Juice and finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp chopped, fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, chilies, posole, cumin, chicken broth and crushed tortilla chips; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly thickened.
- Stir in lime juice, lime zest and cilantro.