Melissa d'Arabian's Warm Cinnamon Caramel Sauce
Recipe Courtesy of Melissa d'Arabian
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 granny smith apples
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt, a pinch
- In a medium heavy saucepan, mix water and sugar and then place on medium high heat. Allow to boil (without stirring; only swirl pan if needed) until pale golden brown, approximately seven minutes. (Watch closely; sugar burns quickly.)
- Remove from heat, and add butter and cream, while stirring vigorously (mixture will bubble).
- Return to heat and bring to boil and then remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
- Allow to cool a few minutes before drizzling over apple tarte and vanilla ice cream.