Distracting Your Child From Having a Meltdown
Here are some helpful hints to distract your child from a temper tantrum:
- Use humor to diffuse the situation. Make some silly faces or act goofy. Try tickling your kid.
- Have a "race"—"Let's see who can get to the check-out line faster. I'll race ya!"
- Create a game out of the situation—"How many people wearing red can you can find?"
- Present a challenge—"I bet you can't jump up and down 10 times. Let's see you try!"
- Keep toys or surprises handy in your diaper bag or purse. Stickers or hand stamps can work wonders. Hey, bribery will get you everywhere!