Valentine's Day Hearts Headband
Make a heart-shaped antenna headband.
- Pipe cleaners:Pink, red, sparkly, fluffy. Whatever you got.
- Plastic headband:Don't use your nice ones! Get a pack at the dollar store.
- Red or pink felt:Red if your kid wants to spread some "love," pink if she wants to spread some "like."
- White glue
- Embellishments:Glitter, rhinestones, mini silk craft roses, lace, etc.
- Red or pink ribbon:At least ½-inch thick.
- Hot-glue gun & glue sticks:Kids and hot glue don't mix, so make sure you do all the gluing!
- Cotton or polyester pillow stuffing
- Cut a length of ribbon two times longer than the headband.
- Secure one end of the ribbon to one side of the base of the headband with a hot glue gun.
- Next, help your kid wrap the ribbon around and around the headband so that it overlaps a bit each time you wrap it to cover the band.
- When you get to the other side of the headband, trim the excess ribbon and hot-glue the end to secure it onto the headband.
- Next, have your kid add embellishments to the ribbon, such as rhinestones or mini roses. Hot-glue them in place for her but make sure to leave two embellishment-free spots just above the eyes, for the pipe cleaners.
- Next, cut out four 3" x 3" pieces of felt and lay them on top of each other.
- Have your kid trace a heart onto the top piece of felt, then help her cut all of the layers out so she has four equal-size hearts.
- Carefully hot-glue the edges of the two hearts together but leave around 1 inch at the bottom (the pointy part) open so you can stick some stuffing in to make the hearts all nice and puffy. Let them dry for two minutes.
- Have your child stuff some cotton balls or stuffing into the hearts. Use a pencil or a chopstick to get the stuffing all the way in there. Break off smaller pieces of the cotton balls if you have to.
- Give your child the pipe cleaners and help her wrap them tightly around a marker and then pull them off. They should look like springs. Leave about 1 to 1½ inches of each end of the pipe cleaners uncoiled so you can attach them to the headband and the hearts.
- To seal the hearts together and attach them to the pipe cleaners, squirt some hot glue inside the bottom of the heart and on one end of the pipe cleaners. Quickly (before the glue cools) push the pipe cleaner into the heart and then press everything together to seal it shut. Repeat with the other pipe cleaner and heart.
- Then encourage your kid to decorate the hearts with beads, rhinestones and glitter. Nothing too heavy, though, or they won't doing and bop.
- Next, wrap one end of the pipe cleaners around the headband to create two antennae. Secure by twisting the end of the pipe cleaner around itself.
- On Valentine's Day, have her wear her Doingly Bop headband. Some people wear their hearts on their sleeves; your kid wears hers on her head!
- For a simpler version, skip the stuffing and just glue the two hearts together.