Winter Recipes: Chicken Noodle Soup
A classic with a twist: tortellini as "noodles," a mix of vegetables and lower in fat—and we'd venture to say, higher in creativity—than the classic. Sorry, Grandma!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups diced vegetables (celery, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, potato, etc.)
- 2 boxes chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 8-ounce package fresh tortellini
- Heat olive oil on medium in a large soup pot.
- Sauté chicken breast in oil for 2 minutes, then add onion and garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add vegetables, broth, wine, vinegar and salt.
- Bring to a low boil and boil for 30 minutes.
- Add tortellini and boil for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with parmesan cheese.
- Double the recipe and freeze what you don't use now (it'll keep for weeks). A hearty lunch—Grandma would be proud.