Winter Recipes: Very Veggie Chili
High fiber and low fat. Need we say more?
- 2 15-ounce cans soy-based vegetarian chili
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 1 pound bag frozen mixed peas, corn and carrots
- ½ cup mild salsa
- 2 cups brown rice
- 5 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- Cook rice as directed on package (if using a rice cooker, place rinsed rice in cooker with water and salt and cook until all water is absorbed, about 45 minutes).
- Ten minutes before rice is done, place vegetarian chili, beans, frozen vegetables and salsa in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover bowl and microwave contents on high for 5 minutes; stir, then microwave for an additional 3 minutes or until contents are thoroughly heated through. Keep covered until rice has finished cooking.
- Serve chili over rice; top with grated cheese if desired.
- Good for freezing and reheating, so make extra!