Christmas Ideas: Cinnamon Stick Star Ornaments
Spice up your holiday with these sweet decorations!
- 6 Cinnamon Sticks:Five for the project and one for your chai latte
- Thin Craft Wire
- Five Cool Colored Beads or Buttons
- Ribbon:Color coordinate it with the beads and buttons
- Wire Cutter or Scissors
- Cut two pieces of the craft wire. One about 16 inches long and one approximately 6 inches long.
- Help your child thread four of the cinnamon sticks and beads or buttons onto the long piece of wire, alternating cinnamon sticks and beads. For example, put a stick on the wire, followed by a bead, followed by a stick, etc. Make sure she leaves about two inches of wire at the end to make a loop for hanging.
- When everything's been loaded on the wire, help your child bend the ornament into a diamond shape, with the beads or buttons in the corners as joints.
- Next, grab the short piece of wire, and have your child thread the fifth cinnamon stick and one bead or button onto the wire, leaving about an inch of wire at the top. The bead or button should be at the bottom, opposite the extra wire.
- Twist the inch of extra wire around the top of the diamond so that the cinnamon stick hangs down in the middle of the diamond.
- Form a hanging loop with the extra wire. Wrap the end around and around to secure it.
- Tie a ribbon around the base of the loop to add a finishing touch.
- Hang it on the tree, on a wall, in a doorway or even in a car to lend the air the sweet aroma of the holidays. (Hey, it's a lot classier than a magic tree!)