Candles can provide a warm and festive atmosphere, but they can also be a fire hazard if left unattended or placed near anything flammable. When your holiday planning includes candles, keep fire safety in mind! The Home Safety Council encourages families to follow these safety tips:
Never leave burning candles unattended. Extinguish all candles before going to sleep or leaving the room.
Do not permit children to keep or use candles or incense in their rooms. Candles should only be used when a sober adult is present and awake.
Never use lighted candles on or near a Christmas tree or other evergreens.
Keep candles at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including other decorations and wrapping paper.
Always use stable, nonflammable candle holders.
Place candles where they will not be knocked down or blown over and out of reach of pets and young children.
Always keep burning candles up high, out of the reach of children. If you have children in your home, store candles, matches and lighters out of their sight and reach. Don't forget safety when holiday planning!
Provided by The Home Safety Council (HSC), a national nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing home related injuries that result in nearly 20,000 deaths and 21 million medical visits on average each year. Through national programs, partnerships and the support of volunteers, HSC educates people of all ages about home safety. HSC provides educational resources for teachers, policy makers, corporations as well as fire and life safety experts to help educate and empower families to take actions that will increase the safety of their homes.report abuse