Barbara Beery's Fabulous Family Picnic Tips
Here are my top 5 tips for a fabulous family picnic!
- Pick a fun spot! Picnics are great on sandy beaches, majestic mountains, grassy meadows or just your own backyard. You can even have them indoors! When the weather was bad and my kids were young, we'd have picnics on the floor in our family room even more fun!
- Have a theme! Choose foods, napkins, drinks and colors around a fun theme. We once had a troll picnic birthday party for my oldest daughter. Each attendee brought their favorite troll doll and we put quilts all over beautiful picnic grounds. We had hula hoop contests and jumped rope and had a troll birthday cake. It was such fun!
- Get all the cooks in the kitchen! Encourage everyone to pick their favorite food and make it for the picnic. Some of our favorites are cold fried chicken with farmer's cheese and rustic bread and homemade dill pickles. Allowing kids to pick and pack their own goodies is a great way to get them to try new "picnic" foods they might not try at the dinner table.
- Serve fun finger foods! Make foods en brochette (i.e. on-a-stick). It's fun to eat that way and easy to transport. For a great finger food try my Fruit and Cheese Kabobs! Yum!
- Shop locally! Have fun before the picnic even starts and go to a farmers market to buy all your picnic foods from local farmers. Food from the market is fresher and delish beyond words!
For more tips and recipes from kids cooking expert Barbara Beery, visit Batter Up Kids and Foodie Kids.