Kids' Eating: Barbara Beery's Brunch Tips
In all of my years teaching kids, I have never seen a kid who isn't excited to cook, especially if it's a meal as fun and delicious as brunch. So invite your kids into the kitchen and get them cooking and eating with these five kid-friendly brunch tips.
- Kitchen prep is key. People think that kids in the kitchen equals a big mess, but not if you plan ahead. I used to be an elementary school teacher and I knew that I had to prepare the classroom to teach the kids and the same goes for the kitchen. Organize all of the kitchen tools and ingredients you need before the kids arrive and the planning will pay off when you cook.
- Keep recipes simple. I think lots of parents aren't sure what's safe and age-appropriate for kids to cook. Look in a kids cookbook for simple recipes that don't take too long to make. Simple, quick recipes will keep kids happy and interested in the kitchen.
- Use kid-sized kitchen tools. Using the right tools and utensils is an important part of making a kid feel comfortable in the kitchen. A 12-inch whisk, for example, is too big for little hands to help mix. Offer tools that are easy and appropriate for kids to cook with so they can build confidence in the kitchen. You can find an assortment of kid-friendly cooking supplies online at Kids Cook Online Shop.
- Make cooking fun! Teaching kids to cook helps them learn about good nutrition, math and science, but you have to make it fun to get them interested. Kids love the creative, non-competitive outlet of cooking so channel their energies with fun activities such as decorating their own aprons and chef hats and recipes they'll really enjoy.
- Slow down and enjoy cooking time together. Brunch is a welcome break from the daily morning breakfast rush where you have to pull the kids out of bed and they're sleepy-eyed shoveling food in to get to school on time. Slow down as a family and really enjoy making and eating delicious food together.
Try some of Barbara Beery's kid-friendly brunch recipes: Bitsy Bacon and Cheese Rolls
Peachy Keen Breakfast Smoothie
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Peanut Butter and Jelly Scones
Spa Princess Fondue