Cortney and Robert Novogratz's 5 Decorating Tips for a Kid-Friendly Home
"My house is a wreck!" Translation: you have kids. But just because your kids rule the roost, doesn't mean that you can't dial up the style on your home decorating. We checked in with designers Cortney and Robert Novogratz
, stylish mom and dad of seven kids, who shared their decorating tips for creating a chic, kid-friendly home the whole family will enjoy!
- Great decor is a great education for your kids. Don't be afraid to hang art and decorate with great pieces of furniture in your home! Sprinkling nice things (art, furniture, books, antiques) throughout the house looks good and teaches your kids about art and design.
- Kids and antiques go together! Don't be afraid to buy antiques. If they're chipped and old, it's even better! If your kid skateboards into the furniture, it just adds to the history and charm of it.
- Mix fun and functional. We scour shops and all kinds of websites for the right mix of fun and functional items. Sites like The Foundary are perfect for finding just the right accent pieces for a room at affordable prices.
- Make your kid's room a space you'll enjoy too.We spend a lot of time in our kids' rooms whether we're reading them books, helping them with homework, or just sitting in a chair helping them get ready for their first school dance. So don't be afraid to add elements, some of your favorite pieces of art or furniture, to make your kid's room a space that they'll enjoy, but you'll want to be in as well.
- Buy furnishings your kids won't outgrow too quickly. As we all know, kids grow up too fast, so make their rooms spaces they can grow into. One of our favorite stores/online sources for kids furniture is The Land of Nod. But you don't always have to shop specifically at kid's furniture stores. We look everywhere for great pieces to use in our kids' rooms. We also tell people to stay away from anything too "themey" so they don't outgrow the space too quickly.