NeNe Leakes on How to Be Wildly Fabulous
Just because you're a mom, doesn't mean your life has to be all dirty diapers and sippy cups. You can still be fabulous and turn heads, spit-up-stained shirt and all! To get the lowdown on how to be an ab fab mama, we sat down with one of the most wildly fabulous moms we know, NeNe Leakes, star of The Real Housewives of Atlanta. Known for her larger-than-life personality and awesome self-confidence, NeNe is a serious authority on being fabulous!
Here, in her own words, are NeNe's top 6 things you gotta have to be fabulous!
- Swagger! I believe being fabulous is all in your swagger. You have to have what I call "swag"—a confidence in your step. That "it" factor. That something special.
- Self-Awareness! You have to know who you are to be a fabulous woman. I think I've always known who I was, but in my mid-30s I really started to come into my womanhood. I really started owning who I am. At that point in my life I learned that no matter what you do, you can't please people. So you just have to be you at all costs. In my 30s, I said, "I'm going to be me and you either like it or you don't!" You have to grow into the woman who you are. I know who I am now and there ain't no changing ME at this point.
- Risk! You have to take risks to be fabulous. Risks in fashion. Risks in business. I've taken a lot of risks in my life both in business and in relationships. I believe you have to take risks and learn from your experiences whether they be good or bad.
- Confidence! One thing I always say about myself, is when I walk into a room, I own it. To be fabulous, you have to own the room. You have to have confidence. People can smell confidence. You don't even have to try hard, you can wear raggedy jeans and flip flops, but if you have a quiet inner confidence, people will think you're fab!
- Individuality! You have to be different to be fabulous. Don't walk around looking the same as everybody else with the same hair, same style. You gotta step outside of the box. I'm tall so I don't look like everyone else from the get go. I'm 5'10 ½". I like to be sexy, but I wear sexy totally different from other people.
- Happiness! I feel my most fabulous when I'm happy. When a woman is happy she walks taller, holds her head up higher. I'm the most fabulous when I'm really happy and I'm living life and loving it. Which, luckily, right now I am!