Sibling Rivalry Among Twins
While it's nice to have the affection and attention of your children, it is important to let them know that it is disrespectful to interrupt when one child is talking or to discount the value of the other. Sibling rivalry is natural, but you can help to minimize the strife and increase the affection between them:
- Explain that you can only listen to one child at a time; alternate who goes first.
- Schedule one-on-one time with each twin to give them that special time.
- Encourage your kids to pick one thing they like about each other and share it with each other. Before they can complain about something, they must first say something nice.
- Cultivate a family environment that praises the accomplishments of others and teaches teamwork over individual glory.
- Notice and praise when the twins are getting along.