Nutty, Bacony Brussels Sprouts
Sure, your kids think Brussels sprouts are gaggy (what kid doesn't?), but throw in some crispy bacon and some yummy pecans and you might just make get them to eat 'em up. (If not...more for you!)
- 6 slices of bacon, cut into one-inch pieces
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, halved
- ½ cup apple juice
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, until crisp.
- Stir in pecans and garlic and cook one minute.
- Remove bacon and nuts from pan, using a slotted spoon.
- Drain fat from pan and return to heat.
- Add olive oil and Brussels sprouts. Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in apple juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes, until sprouts are tender.
- Gently stir in bacon and pecans and remove from heat.
- Substitute thawed, frozen Brussels sprouts and reduce cooking time to 8 minutes.