Mildly spicy side dish perfect for soups and chilis.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (4-oz) can chopped green chilis
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (16-oz) can creamed corn
- Move the oven rack to the lower middle position and preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and ground red pepper in a medium size bowl. Combine the milk, oil, egg, chilies, cheese and creamed corn in a medium sized bowl. Add the milk mixture to the cornmeal mixture and stir just until well mixed together. The mixture will be lumpy.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is a golden brown and cake tester/toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the bread.