- 8 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips or 8 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ cup heavy (whipping) cream
- Put the chocolate in a large, heatproof bowl. Heat the cream in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat just until it bubbles. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate in the bowl and let it sit for about 1 minute, until the chocolate is melted. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until smooth.
- Allow the mixture to rest at room temperature until firm enough to spread, about 2 hours. You may also refrigerate the mixture for about 30 minutes, until it is firm enough to spread, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Ground spices, such as cayenne pepper, ginger, or cinnamon, can be added to ganache. A rule of thumb: add up to ½ teaspoon of most ground spices, or to taste. But use a lighter hand with the hot stuff. Just add a pinch, or up to ⅛ teaspoon cayenne or habañero powder.
- Use this as a filling in S'mores Whoopie Pies.