Harvest Fruit and Potato Casserole
This side dish steals the spotlight with tender sweet potatoes, sweet apples and pears and crunchy nuts in delicious and nutritious layers.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, washed and peeled
- 2 apples, golden delicious
- 2 pears
- ½ cup (1 handful) chopped nuts—walnuts, pecans, etc.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- ¼ sugar (granulated or brown)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350-375°.
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes into thin circular slices.
- Toss with half the butter and all the salt and pepper.
- Spray an 8x8-inch or 9x9-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray and lay the sweet potato slices around the whole bottom.
- Peel and slice the apples and pears.
- Layer slices on top of the sweet potato.
- Top with the nuts, sugar and other half of butter.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until sugar has caramelized and all the potatoes have turned soft.
- For a special occasion, such as a holiday dinner, add cranberries and top with figs for a beautiful dish.