Em's Shepherd's Pie
My version of shepherd's pie...works on my student budget, and, well, I love it.
- 5 medium to large potatoes, peeled & boiled to make mash
- 3 garlic cloves, minced/crushed, divided
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium to large onion, diced
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1½ cups frozen corn, peas or a combo of the two
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 375. Mash/whip potatoes with 2 cloves worth of crushed garlic and butter. Salt to taste. Set aside.
- Brown ground beef with onion over medium heat. Add the remaining garlic, cream soups, and the peas/corn. Mix together. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the meat mixture evenly in a casserole dish. Cover with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- The mashed potatoes don't need the garlic...i just love garlic.
- You can use any combination of cream soups that you would like.
- "Paint" the top of the mashed potatoes with a bit of butter about half way through baking to get a nice brown top.
- Sprinkling cheddar cheese on top of this dish makes it even more incredible!