These quick dessert bites have all the ingredients of a classic Baklava - flaky fillo dough, nuts, honey and spices - but can be whipped up in a moment's notice.
- 1 (2.1-oz) box frozen mini fillo shells
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp water
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place fillo shells on rimmed baking sheet.
- In a medium mixing bowl, place chopped walnuts. Coat a 1-cup glass measuring cup with cooking spray. Measure the honey. Add cinnamon and water, stirring well to mix. Pour honey over the nuts and stir well to coat the nuts.
- Distribute nut and honey mixture evenly among the fillo shells.
- Bake for 8 minutes until shells and nuts are lightly browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Feel free to substitute your favorite nuts according to your mood. To chop nuts, you can pulse them for a few seconds in a food processor, or place the nuts in a resealable plastic bag and pound them with a meat tenderizing mallet or rolling pin. (It's also a great stress reducer!). For a few extra pennies, you can buy some packaged nuts already chopped.
- When you spray the measuring cup for the honey with cooking spray, the honey glides out without sticking.