Homemade Vanilla Pudding
I'm pregnant and craving comfort food. For me, creamy pudding that's not out of the box is pretty much as comforting as it gets. It's really easy and my kids love it. My rationale for making it every single night is that we all could use a little bit of extra calcium in our diets.
- 2 cups milk (I use 2% but any type will work)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- Garnishes (chocolate chips, coconut sprinkles, peanut butter cups-- optional but tasty!)
- Put milk in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a low boil, stirring every once in awhile.
- While milk is warming, mix sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Slowly (really slowly) whisk the sugar and cornstarch mixture into the boiling milk. If you add it quickly, it'll get lumpy.
- Once all sugar mixture is whisked in, bring milk back to a boil. It will thicken pretty quickly.
- Whisk in vanilla and butter.
- Chill in fridge or enjoy warm fresh out of the pot.
- Add garnishes (like chocolate chips, candy bar pieces or coconut) to warm pudding and then let cool. Or, add yummy add-ins like bananas and graham crackers once it is cool.