Upma is a hot breakfast food, originally from South India, that can be eaten for breakfast, brunch or as a snack.
- 1 cup sooji - upma rava
- 1 inch piece of ginger, chopped finely
- 2 chilies, red or green
- 1 onion, medium sized, chopped lengthwise
- Salt according to taste
- Dry roast sooji for a few minutes & set aside. Take care not to brown them.
- Heat oil in the same pan & do the seasoning.
- Add chilies, ginger and onion and fry till translucent.
- Add salt, water & let it come to boil. Add the sooji gradually.
- Keep stirring & take care as not to form lumps.
- Simmer on the stove, cover and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the stove, combine & serve hot.
- Suji is an Indian wheat, granulated but not pulverized. It is a kind of semolina.