Hot Cheese Puffs
These melt-in-your-mouth puffs of hot, cheesy bread are what the French call gougeres. We just call 'em delicious!
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 stick butter
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Swiss, cheddar, parmesan... whatever you like!)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine milk, water, butter and pepper in a medium pot and bring to a boil.
- Add flour and stir over low heat until it forms a smooth dough.
- Transfer dough to a large bowl.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, with an electric mixer. (Or use a wooden spoon and all your might!)
- Stir in the cheese.
- Drop tablespoon-sized mounds of dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until puffy and golden.
- Serve hot.