Cook with your Kids Homemade Tortilla Chips
"What? You mean chips don't have to come out of a bag, mom?" No way, Jose. The fresher the better (and the yummier). Now stand back, kid.
- 12 corn tortillas
- ¾ cup canola oil
- salt, to taste
- Have your kid make 3 stacks of 4 tortillas on a cutting board.
- Cut the tortillas into wedges (or strips, if you prefer tortilla strips)
- Spread all of the tortilla pieces onto a clean tray and cover with a paper towel. Let them dry for 20-30 minutes.
- Pour oil into a heavy-bottomed or cast iron frying pan. Heat the oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until it reaches approx 380 degrees. It's super important to keep a good eye on the oil and NOT to leave kids alone in the kitchen with hot oil!
- Place tortilla pieces into the hot oil a handful at a time. Use a slotted spoon to keep them separate. Fry for 1 minute then remove from oil with a slotted spoon.
- Salt immediately.