Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Pardon us for being cheesy, but there's something totally comfy-cozy about this soup.
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup frozen chopped onions
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 32-ounce container chicken broth
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 8-ounce can evaporated milk, or 1 cup of light cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 8-ounce package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter or margarine.
- Add the onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, stirring well to coat the onions.
- Add the broth; cook and stir for 2 minutes, until thick and smooth.
- Add the broccoli, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 10 minutes, until tender.
- Add the evaporated milk, salt and pepper, stirring well to mix.
- Cook for 2 minutes, until heated through.
- Remove from the heat and stir in cheese until melted.
- This soup tastes even better when you serve it in a bread bowl—a small, round loaf of bread that's been hollowed out. (Then again, most things taste better when served in a bread bowl!)