Divine Chocolate Pudding
This delish dessert gets a flavor kick from the addition of a little espresso powder. In our book, that makes it a totally legitimate breakfast recipe, too.
- 2 cups skim milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder, or instant espresso powder
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
- lite frozen whipped topping, optional for serving
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook the milk for 3 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa powder, instant espresso or coffee powder, and cornstarch, stirring well to mix and break up any clumps of cocoa powder. Add to the milk, stirring well with a whisk to mix.
- Add chocolate chips, stirring well with a whisk to mix. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour pudding into four ramekins, dishes, or small coffee cups. Let cool for 30 minutes and serve at room temperature, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving.
- Top each serving with a huge dollop of whipped cream or lite frozen whipped topping and chocolate covered espresso beans for a heavenly treat.
- If you choose to serve the pudding chilled, cover each serving with plastic wrap to prevent a thick "scum" from forming on top of pudding.