Broccoli Slaw Salad
This sweet, crunchy salad uses packaged broccoli slaw as the base. Having trouble selling the kids on broccoli slaw? Let them know it also uses a kid staple: ramen noodles.
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 3-ounce packages beef flavor ramen noodles, flavor packets reserved
- 1 16-ounce package broccoli slaw*
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup sunflower seed kernels
- 1 15-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the sugar, vinegar, oil and reserved beef flavor packets, shaking well to mix.
- Add the broccoli slaw, shaking well to coat with the dressing.
- Break the ramen noodles apart by hand into bite-sized pieces over the broccoli slaw.
- Shake well to mix the noodles and slaw with the dressing.
- Refrigerate for at least six hours, shaking the bag occasionally to mix the salad.
- Just before serving, transfer the salad to a serving bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients; toss well to mix.
- *If broccoli slaw is not available, you can substitute cabbage slaw with similar results. But you have to make it at least six hours before serving (Yay! Now you have something to do when when you wake up at 6 AM…as if you didn't have anything to do!?)
- If you have trouble breaking the noodles apart by hand, they can be put into another resealable plastic bag and broken into bite-sized pieces with a meat-tenderizing mallet or a rolling pin. It's a great way to get out your aggression!