Commander in Chief Chili
Turns out our new president loves a good chili, so we're thinking of taking this recipe to the next White House Chili Cook-Off. (Surely our invite is on its way, right?)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or 1 tsp bottled minced garlic
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ½-ounce can corn kernels, drained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 cup water
- Heat oil in deep pot on medium-high heat.
- Add peppers, onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, chili powder, instant brown rice and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Like things turned up a notch? Allow the rice to simmer with the chili longer than 15 minutes to really pick up the flavor.