Orange and Honey Chicken Drumsticks
Fruit? Honey? Drumsticks? Your kids are gonna love this one!
- 1 (6-ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped roasted green chilies
- 1 cup frozen chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- In the bottom of a 3½-quart or larger slow cooker, place the orange juice concentrate, honey, green chilies, onion, tarragon and salt, stirring to mix well.
- Add the chicken drumsticks; stir to coat with the sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove chicken drumsticks to a serving platter, cover loosely with foil and set aside.
- Turn slow cooker to high. In a small mixing bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to the sauce, stirring well to mix. Cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Stir in mandarin oranges, pour sauce over chicken drumsticks and serve.
- After you empty the can of orange juice concentrate, use it to measure the honey (fill the can to a little more than half with the honey). The OJ concentrate leaves a slippery coating on the inside of the can, so the honey glides out without sticking (and you won't dirty another measuring cup).
- Buy skinless chicken drumsticks already packaged so you don't have to deal with removing the skin. They're a little more expensive, but the payoff is less labor and less fat for you.