Michelle's Caramel Corn
You and your kids can make a big ol' batch of popcorn, caramelize it, then stash it away in an airtight container for over a week—that is, if your kids will let you. Better to just call it a movie marathon night.
- 12 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tbsp light molasses
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Spray a large roaster pan with non-stick vegetable spray. Place popcorn in pan and set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and molasses in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring once. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, baking soda and salt.
- Pour hot mixture over popcorn, stirring to coat.
- Bake at 250 degrees for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven; stir to break up. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.