Easy Chocolate Fudge
Legend has it that fudge was invented during a botched attempt at making candy, i.e., the woman "fudged" it. To that woman, we'd like to say, "Thank you."
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- Dash of salt
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ to 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and salt, stirring gently until melted and combined.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla extract and nuts, if using.
- Spread evenly into an 8-inch square pan lined with wax paper.
- Chill for 2 hours or until firm.
- Turn fudge onto counter or cutting board, peel off the wax paper, and cut into squares.
- Store fudge, covered, in refrigerator.
- You can use white chips, or split the recipe in half and make half white fudge and half dark fudge.