Peppermint Twist Cupcakes
These cupcakes feature chocolate cake studded with bits of minty candy cane. Crowning the top is a swirl of white chocolate buttercream with more crushed candy cane sprinkled on top. Can you say, "decadent?"
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place paper liners in all wells of one 12-cup and one 6-cup cupcake tin.
- Fold ¾ cup of the crushed candy canes into batter.
- Divide batter evenly among cupcake wells. Bake for about 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center shows a few moist crumbs.
- Cool pans on racks for 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Place the buttercream in a large mixing bowl and beat in the cooled, melted white chocolate.
- Using pastry bag fitted with tip, frost each cupcake with a large swirl on top.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup crushed candy canes on top of cupcakes. Cupcakes are now ready to serve.
- You can add more color by using any of the various colored candy canes available in stores. Some are red, green and white, which is fine. Just be sure they are still peppermint, because some are fruit flavored and that just won't do for this recipe! You may also simply spread the frosting on top with an icing spatula rather than using a pastry bag.
- The best way to crush the candy canes is to place them in a heavy-duty zipper-top plastic bag, then use a rolling pin to alternately roll over them and whack them. You can also try crushing them in a food processor fitted with a metal blade, but it will make a huge racket!
- Cupcakes may be baked two days ahead; frosted cupcakes are best served the same day. Store refrigerated in airtight container.