Make-Ahead Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes? Good. Mashed sweet potatoes. Better. Pumpkin mashed potatoes? Out of this world!
- 3 lbs potato, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 lbs pumpkin, cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1-1½ cups milk
- Grated whole nutmeg, to taste
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Boil the potatoes and pumpkin in a large pot of salted water until fork-tender. Drain.
- Mash the pumpkin and potatoes together with 1 cup of the milk, butter, nutmeg and salt and pepper. Add extra milk until you reach the desired consistency.
- Allow potatoes to cool completely and then put into a greased 9x13 inch pan. Wrap the pan tightly and freeze for up to 2 months.
- When ready to serve: Defrost overnight in the refrigerator. Bake for 30 minutes in an oven preheated to 350 degrees. Stir halfway through the baking time and add a little milk if needed.
- You may also store the potatoes in a plastic freezer container and transfer them to a greased pan before baking.
- Try substituting sweet potatoes or squash for the pumpkin.