Chicken with Risotto and Caramelized Onions
Chicken gets the royal treatment with caramelized onions, balsamic vinegar and risotto.
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 onion chopped (to your liking)
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1½ cups uncooked Arborio rice
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 7 cups hot chicken broth
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken breast (roasted or grilled, approx 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped, fresh thyme
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onions and sauté for 15 to 20 minutes or until the onions are a dark, golden brown. Remove from heat, stir in the balsamic vinegar and set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a separate, large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the rice and mix well. Let heat for 2 min, then pour in the wine. Reduce the heat to medium-low and start pouring in the broth 1 cup at a time. Add more broth as each cup is absorbed. Continue this method until the broth is absorbed and the rice is al dente, approx. 20 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved onion mixture and allow to heat through. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish each serving with thyme.
- A little grated cheese such as Parmesan or Pecorino Romano before serving is a nice touch!