Cheesy Potato Skillet
They're like homefries from your favorite diner. Minus the diner.
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 cup frozen chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 28-ounce package frozen diced potatoes or chunky-style hash-brown potatoes
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 8-ounce package shredded swiss cheese or cheddar cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt the butter or margarine.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions are tender and lightly browned, about five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the potatoes, water, salt and pepper, mixing well.
- Cover and cook for 15–20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook one to two minutes or until cheese is melted.
- The recipe doubles easily for a larger crowd.