Turkey or Ham Mac and Cheese Casserole
Ham and cheese go together like macaroni and cheese ... and nachos and cheese, and broccoli and cheese, and bacon and cheese, and wine and cheese, and ... wait, what were we talking about? Oh, right: try this recipe!
- 1 16-ounce package elbow macaroni
- 1 10-ounce package frozen peas
- 1 8-ounce package shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 16-ounce container sour cream
- 4 ½-inch thick slices boiled ham, baked ham or cooked turkey (about 2 pounds), cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a two-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot of lightly salted water, cook the macaroni according to package directions.
- When there are about two minutes left of cooking time, add the peas to the macaroni.
- Cook two minutes; drain and return to the pot.
- In the pot with the macaroni and peas, add the cheese, sour cream, ham or smoked turkey, pepper and milk. Stir well to mix.
- Transfer to the prepared casserole dish; sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 20 to 23 minutes, uncovered, until lightly browned and bubbling around the edges.
- Ask your deli attendant to cut ½-inch thick slices of ham or smoked turkey for you, though leftover baked ham works best. And leftovers freeze well for up to three months.