Southwestern Black Bean & Rice Soup
Turn dinnertime into a fantasy Mexican getaway with this healthy and mucho easy black-bean soup. Plus, it's inexpensive—so you can save for a real Mexican vacation!
- 3½ cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- ¾ cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 16-oz jar thick-and-chunky-style chipotle salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, unthawed
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 small avocado, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Place the broth and rice in a large saucepan set over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 20 minutes or until the rice is done.
- Stir in the beans, salsa, corn, lime juice, and cumin. Cook 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with the green onions, avocado, and sour cream.