Sauteed Spinach and White Beans
Spinach meets olive oil and white beans in this yummy lunch or side dish. Popeye would definitely approve.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup frozen chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 10-ounce packages fresh, washed baby spinach
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until the onions are tender, about five minutes.
- Add the beans and cook until heated through and slightly softened, about three minutes.
- Add the vinegar and spinach (in batches if necessary), and cook for three minutes, stirring frequently until wilted.
- Add the thyme, salt and pepper, stirring well to mix.
- White wine vinegar adds tangy flavor to the spinach. Red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar can be substituted for a slightly different variation.
- Cooking a large amount of spinach is easy—just sauté it in batches. As it wilts, it creates room in your pan.