Green Beans Nicoise
This chic side dish is a take on the French salade nicoise. Get the kids to call you "maman" when you serve it.
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen whole green beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup frozen chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 14 ½-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon-style mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cook the green beans according to package directions, omitting salt.
- Drain and set aside in a large serving bowl.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onions are tender, about five minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stirring well to mix.
- Cook for an additional two minutes, or until heated through.
- Pour the mixture over the green beans; toss well to mix.
- Substituting one generous tablespoon of tapenade (olive and caper paste) or olivade (olive paste) for the chopped ripe olives puts the flavor over the top.