Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
Portobello mushrooms are as versatile as vegetables come. Sliced, they're a delish companion to any main dish as well as a fabulous filling for an omelet, frittata, or quesadilla. Oh yeah, they're also a great topping for your pasta or pizza.
- 4 medium to large portobello mushrooms
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt, soy sauce or tamari
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Rinse the mushrooms quickly under running water.
- Remove the stems and discard or reserve for another use.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the remaining ingredients, shaking well to mix.
- Add the mushrooms; turn to coat with the marinade.
- Refrigerate for one hour, turning the bag occasionally.
- When ready to cook, prepare the grill to medium heat.
- Place the mushrooms, top side up, directly on the grill or in a grill basket.
- Cook the mushrooms for five minutes on each side or until lightly charred on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Try sprinkling them with dried herbs, like basil, thyme and tarragon, before serving. Yum!
- Whole portobellos on a toasted bun with condiments make great vegetarian "burgers."