Roasted Chicken & Sweet Potato Stew
Make a big pot and freeze it for multiple meals. You'll be glad you did when you can't be bothered to cook and you're seriously sick of Kung Chow Palace.
- 1 whole roasted chicken (from supermarket deli), skin removed
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (optional)
- 1 pound peeled baby carrots
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 yellow onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 pound yellow summer squash, cut in small chunks
- 1 pound frozen white corn
- 1 pound frozen French-cut green beans
- Remove chicken from bones, tear meat into small pieces and refrigerate.
- Place chicken bones, oregano and chipotle pepper in large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes; remove bones from broth.
- Add carrots, sweet potatoes and onion; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add summer squash; simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Add frozen corn and green beans and bring to boil. Lower heat and add shredded chicken; simmer for a final 5 minutes.
- Add water at any point while cooking to keep contents of pot just barely covered with broth.
- Serve with whole wheat/multigrain bread or over cooked brown rice.