Throw together a bag of lentils and a bunch of veggies to "soup up" your family's dinner repertoire.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8 ounces light sausage, cut into slices
- 1 bag (16-ounce) dried lentils, rinsed
- 7 cups (approximately) chicken broth
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion, celery, carrots, garlic and mushrooms in olive oil until onions are slightly brown.
- Add the sausage and lentils and cover with chicken broth (about 7 cups).
- Simmer for 1 hour until all of the liquid has been absorbed.