Fried chicken with great flavor and fall-off-the-bone tenderness without a ton of oil. You can make as much or little as you like, without changing the recipe.
- 2 pounds of chicken
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp seasoned salt (Lawry's or other brand)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Rinse chicken with cold water, and coat with seasoned flour.
- Fry in about 1 tablespoon oil in an oven-proof casserole or pan, until browned on all sides (does not need to be cooked through).
- Add about 1 cup (more or less depending on the seal of your pan) of water. Bake for 30 minutes, covered, then uncover and bake another 30 minutes.
- To make a gravy, take the chicken out of the pan, and put on a serving platter. Put the pan with the drippings on low heat. Combine 3 tablespoons of the remainder of the seasoned flour with a cup of water in a Tupperware container. Shake until milky consistency, and add it to the drippings. Stir with a whisk until it is the consistency of gravy. Serve over mashed potatoes and the chicken.
- The chicken can be any cut, with or without bone and with or without skin (however, the skin does help the flour stick better).
- Seasoned flour goes with any meat, so feel free to use it with other dishes.