Chicken and Dumplings
Tender, melt-in-your-mouth gnocchi give this hearty main-dish soup an Italian twist!
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- ½ cup frozen chopped onion
- 1 (10-oz) package frozen peas and carrots
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 (32-oz) container chicken broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 rotisserie chicken, breast meat diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 (1-lb) package potato gnocchi
- In a large saucepan or soup pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter or margarine.
- Add the onion, peas and carrots, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour, stirring well to coat the vegetables.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, until broth thickens slightly.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the chicken and gnocchi, stirring well to mix. Simmer for 5 minutes, until gnocchi rise to the top of the broth.