These quick "calzones" can be served hot out of your oven faster than the pizza guy can deliver to your front door.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ lb sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 (10-oz) package frozen chopped green peppers and onion or 1 medium red pepper, seeded and chopped; and 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1½ cups part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 (6-inch) whole wheat pita breads, 99% fat free
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat a large-rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Crumble sausage into skillet and add the peppers and onions. Cook for 10 minutes, until the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat; drain off any fat. Add the pizza sauce and mozzerella, stirring well to mix.
- Make a small cut into the side of each pita and carefully open it at the cut. Stuff 1/6 of the sausage and veggie mixture into each pita and arrange "calzones" on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until crispy.
- Stuff the pitas with your family's fave pizza toppings. Pizza sauce and cheese are irresistible, even to your picky eaters.
- Make this a vegetarian meal by using meatless sausage crumbles, found in your grocer's freezer.