Salsa Lentils and Rice
Need something hearty in a hurry? Try this saucy spin on classic beans and rice.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ (10-oz) package frozen chopped onion
- 1 tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1 (14½-oz) can vegetable broth
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 (1¼-oz) packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 (15½-oz) can lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16-oz) jar thick and chunky salsa
- 1 (4½-oz) can chopped green chiles
- In a large skillet with a lid over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is very tender and begins to brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stirring well to mix. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Top each steaming bowlful with shredded Cheddar cheese if you like.
- Turn up the heat by using a spicier salsa. Mango or pineapple salsa makes the dish a little sweeter and takes the edge off the heat.