Sausage and Pepper Stew
Serve this light and savory stew in shallow bowls with plenty of buttered Italian bread.
- 4 fully-cooked sweet Italian-style chicken sausages
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp bottled minced garlic
- 2 cups frozen chopped onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped into 1-inch dice
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped into 1-inch dice
- 2 (14 ½-oz) cans Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6-oz) can tomato paste with Italian herbs
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cut the sausages into 1-inch pieces. In a medium soup pot over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil and cook the sausage pieces, stirring occasionally, until well-browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, onion, and peppers, stirring well to mix. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes, until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the stewed tomatoes, stirring well to mix, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the tomato paste, vinegar and sugar, stirring well to mix.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Buying packages of fully-cooked chicken sausages puts you one step ahead in dinner prep. Look for them with other prepared packaged meats and sausages, or ask your grocer.